Wearing uniforms enhances the student's school pride, their sense of unity and therefore all around school spirit!
Some of our reasons for adopting a uniform dress code are as follows:
- Uniforms result in stronger discipline and better academics.
- Uniforms help improve a student’s self-image.
- Uniforms eliminate the daily decision of what to wear.
- .... Improves attendance!
- Uniforms diminish economic and social barriers between students.
- Uniforms help identify intruders in the school and on the playground.
- Uniforms give organizational identification, which helps build school spirit.
- Uniforms increase a sense of belonging and school pride.
- School uniforms can save parents money, therefore reducing your yearly clothing costs.
Simplicity, appropriateness, modesty and cleanliness describe the acceptable standards in dress.
All students enrolled in our school are required to own the following uniform pieces:
Uniform plain polo shirts, either short or long-sleeved in all three colors: white, red, and navy blue.
- Boys - You must own one bottom piece in each color – navy or black and khaki. Long pants and shorts are acceptable options.
- Girls - You must own one bottom piece in each color – navy or black and khaki. Long pants, shorts, jumpers, skirts or skorts are acceptable options.
- Field Trip Uniform – Red polo shirt and dark uniform pants, shorts, skirts or skorts (as appropriate for the weather and/or event.)
- Musical Performances – Black & white attire.
Optional items that are acceptable:
- Uniform collared plain white dress shirt in either short or long sleeve. Girls may wear a white uniform blouse with a peter pan collar.
- Uniform plain cardigans, sweaters or sweater vests in solid white, red or navy blue.
- Girls may wear a uniform jumper, skirt or skort in our school’s plaid - which is a navy blue/red plaid called “Hamilton Plaid” (available at the Dennis Uniform Store in Spokane, www.frenchtoast.com and Land’s End).
- Uniform plain fleece jackets in either true red or navy blue. (School-issued fleece jacket with school logo is acceptable.)
** Plain is designated as no distinguishable labels, logos or decorative distinctions.
Foot Wear: Solid-colored socks that match the uniform must be worn with shoes at all times. Simple boots, (during appropriate weather) shoes or tennis shoes that complement our school uniform are acceptable. Dress shoes, flip flops or open-toed shoes are NOT acceptable for school wear.
Please Note: All students MUST HAVE a pair of tennis shoes for daily PE classes.
Outerwear: Students can wear their own outerwear of choice on the playground or at recess. Coats and non-uniform pieces are not to be worn in class.
- Tumbling shorts in plain white or navy blue are required under the girls’ jumpers and skirts, but must not be visible below the hemline. Black, white or navy blue tights or leggings are also acceptable to be worn under skirts or jumpers. All girls’ hemlines for jumpers, skirts, skorts and shorts are to be no shorter than 3” above the knee.
- Natural looking make-up and fingernail polish are allowed.
- All clothing must be in good repair at all times (no holes, tears or frayed edges). Cargo, carpenter, drawstring, active work-out or sweat pants are NOT acceptable pants. Decals, logos, pictures or emblems on the front of any of the shirts, polos, cardigans, sweaters or vests are not allowed at any time.
- Extreme styles in hair will not be allowed. Hair should be of a natural color and neatly groomed.
- Jewelry such as bracelets, chains, earrings, necklaces, rings and/or other conspicuous ornaments are NOT to be worn and/or brought to school.
Limited exceptions to the school uniform policy:
Spirit Week – Students choosing NOT to participate in Spirit Week are required to wear their school uniform.
Friday SVAS T-shirt & Jeans Day – Fun Run shirts or school logo shirts may be worn. A uniform polo shirt may NOT be worn with blue jeans.
FREE DRESS DAY (the last Friday of the month.)
Dresses: NO sleeveless or spaghetti straps and must be modest in length. Shorts to be worn underneath.
Shirts: MUST have sleeves and NO words.
Pants: Jeans or uniform pants are acceptable. NO sweats or yoga pants.
**As it is the parent’s responsibility to ensure that their child is following the uniform policy, we ask that you double check and make certain that your child is appropriately attired before you leave from home.
Where to Buy
We want to share some helpful stores & websites that all have a designated "Uniform Section" in their stores and on their websites.